Whether it was your decision or thrust upon you, it is common for intense emotional distress to accompany divorce. Our natural inclination is to “get past” this distress as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, one does not typically “get past” such episodes without first “going through” them. Divorce Counseling facilitates working through this difficult period so you can begin moving beyond.
- Debrief the life cycle of the marital relationship to make better sense of why divorce occurred.
- Express, process, and make a relationship with the emotions you are experiencing.
- Manage the factors intensifying and extending your emotional distress.
- Engage in exercises that facilitate “letting go” of what has already passed.
- Envision the life you want to live “post-divorce” and begin moving in that direction.